A. Instruction - 6.3
B. Design - 9.3
C. Engagement - 7.3
Creatures of Light: A Top App for Biology
Summary : Helping to Illuminate Land and Sea Animals
Creatures of Light provides users with high-quality images and information related to light-producing animals. From the main menu, users are presented with six options – The Exhibition, Enchanted Evening, Light on Land, A Sparkling Sea, Altered Light, and The Deep Ocean – and each option contains multiple slides about its topic. As users view the slides’ pictures and text, many of the slides allow users to tap certain places for more information, view cycles with a sliding scale tool, and watch short videos. Each option contains an original soundtrack that helps to engage all the users’ senses in the topic.
- Students can view one of the six options presented by this app. After engaging the topic, students can record the five most important facts they learned about the topic and compose a short paragraph that explains what they found most interesting about the topic based on the facts.
- After viewing a topic and recording facts about it, students can conduct online research to find additional sources to support the facts. Students can create an annotated bibliography where they list the facts and the sources that verify them.
- Students can be assigned a research topic related to light-producing animals and use this app as a source for their research and/or as a starting point for their research project.
- Students can view the different maps included in this app and then combine them into one map that shows the locations where light-producing animals are commonly found.
- Students can engage “The Deep Ocean” presentation’s slide titled “Threats to the Deep Ocean” and view the different pollutants and their effects on marine life and the oceans. Students can then conduct their own online research and produce a map where they pinpoint the location of these polluters.
|A2. 21st Century Skills
|A3. Conn. to Future Learning
|A4. Value of Errors
|A5. Feedback to Teacher
|A6. Level of Material
|A7. Cooperative Learning
|A8. Accom. of Individual Diff.
|B1. Ability to Save Progress
|B2. Platform Integration
|B3. Screen Design
|B4. Ease of Use
|B6. Goal Orientation
|B7. Information Presentation
|B8. Media Integration
|B9. Cultural Sensitivity
|C1. Learner Control