A. Efficiency - 9.3
B. Functionality - 8
C. Design - 9.5
A “Must Have” App for 21st Century Teaching
Edmodo provides users with an online learning environment that is similar to popular social media websites. To register with Edmodo, users must create either a teacher or student profile. To work properly, teachers create a class that students join.
For teachers, Edmodo allows them to post assignments and quizzes, poll their students, store course materials in folders, make announcements to an entire class, send messages to individual students, and maintain a digital grade book, among other options. Additionally, Edmodo features a digital community in which teachers can join groups and connect with other teachers.
For students, Edmodo allows them to access course materials, submit assignments digitally, send messages to teachers, and post to the class wall.
Lastly, Edmodo provides detailed support services and responds quickly to emailed questions.
- Teachers can post an assignment(s) to their Edmodo website and have students digitally submit their work, which teachers can then grade and return to students online.
- Teachers can post a question using their Edmodo site and require students to post a response and comment on each other’s responses (e.g., After reading a text, teachers can require students to post their opinion about the text and respond to one or more of their classmates’ posted opinions). Teachers are then able to grade the original response, as well as the comments.
- Teachers can use Edmodo to pre-assess student background knowledge about a particular topic using Edmodo’s poll feature. Teachers can then use the poll results to inform and design upcoming lessons that are matched to their students’ needs.
- Teachers can create folders to store digital course content for students.
- Teachers can use the messaging feature to remind students of upcoming deadlines and to make general class announcements.
|B2. Collaboration & Communication|
|B3. Ability to Save Progress|
|B5. Platform Integration|
|C2. Ease of Use|
|C5. Screen Design|
|C6. Information Presentation|
|C7. Media Integration|
|C8. Free of Distractors|