A. Instruction - 6
B. Design - 8.9
C. Engagement - 8
Fraze It: A Creative Approach to Word Study
Summary : What does that word mean? It’s “Fraze It” Time!
Fraze It is an innovative website that functions as a dictionary. After launching the website, users type a word or phrase of interest into the search box. The website will then create a report for the word/phrase that includes multiple examples of it being used in context, a definition for it, synonyms for the word/phrase, images depicting the word/phrase, translations of the word/phrase into multiple languages, and examples of native English speakers pronouncing it. Embedded within the report are additional features. In addition, Fraze It also contains filters for searching its content via the “Source” menu on the left side of the screen.
Instructional Ideas for Fraze It
- When students come across a word/phrase that they do not know, they can use this website to quickly search it and gain a foundational understanding of it.
- If users wish to view the entire text based on the clip that accompanied the word/phrase they looked up using this website, they can copy the text reported by this website and paste it into a search engine and then search the internet for it. (Students should put quotation marks around the word so they can find the exact text.)
- When students encounter a word/phrase of interest, they can look it up using this website and the compare its definition to the one offered by com and popularity using Word Count. Students can then report on their findings to the class.
- If teachers are having students create word boxes, they can direct students to this website to locate information for their word box.
- For a writing activity, students can look up a word/phrase using this website and then view the different clips of text that use the word/phrase reported by this website. Students can then compose a short story, journal entry, or other piece of writing that explains, connects to, or comments on the clip.
Screenshots of Fraze It