A. Instruction - 6
B. Design - 9.1
C. Engagement - 9.7
Mixerpiece: Mix & Match Artwork to Make Your Own!
Summary : Making art has never been so engaging!
Mixerpiece allows users to create works of art by mixing and matching shapes, body parts, clothing, decorative elements, and backgrounds that appear in famous paintings. After loading the app, users begin by tapping the “Create” option. Next, a workspace will appear along with two menus. The menu at the bottom of the screen provides categories of elements that can be added to the workspace. Users must first select the category and the elements for that category appear. Users can then tap an element on the second menu, and it will appear in the workspace. Once the element is in the workspace, users can reposition, resize, and rotate it using their fingers. Users can also touch and hold their finger on an element in their workspace to view the element in its original painting. If users shake their device, the app will rearrange the elements into a new work of art!
With the menu on the left of the screen, users can adjust the element’s color, inverse it, or remove it. Users can add multiple elements to their workspace and, when ready, they can tap the “Envelope” to email the image or tap “Camera” button to save the image to the photo gallery. To access the photo gallery, users can tap the “Home” button on the top right of the screen, choose the “Gallery” option, and then peruse the images created by themselves and other users.
Apple iOS: Download Link
Google Play: Download Link
Instructional Ideas for Mixerpiece
- Teachers can have students read a narrative. Next, teachers can assign each student a character from the narrative, and students will have to create a depiction of the character using this app. Students can then email themselves a copy of the image and save the image. Teachers can add to this activity by having students share and explain their images on a Padlet.
- After creating an image using this app, students can make a trading card using the image with the RWT Trading Card Creator. That way, students can contextualize the image and share it in the form of a trading card.
- When studying a time period or artistic genre, teachers can have students create an image using this app that is representative of the period and/or genre. Students can then save their image to the gallery, so their classmates can view it. Teachers can then use these images to start a conversation by asking: What characteristics of this image relates to the period/genre?
- When adding elements to their workspace, students can tap and hold the elements to view their details. When students find an image that they enjoy, they can further study it using the Artcyclopedia.
- During free time, teachers can have students use this app to express their creativity. Teachers can have students share their images in small groups and require them to explain their choices in making the image.
Screenshots of Mixerpiece
Ratings of Mixerpiece
|A2. 21st Century Skills|
|A3. Conn. to Future Learning|
|A4. Value of Errors|
|A5. Feedback to Teacher|
|A6. Level of Material|
|A7. Cooperative Learning|
|A8. Accom. of Individual Diff.|
|B1. Ability to Save Progress|
|B2. Platform Integration|
|B3. Screen Design|
|B4. Ease of Use|
|B6. Goal Orientation|
|B7. Information Presentation|
|B8. Media Integration|
|B9. Cultural Sensitivity|
|C1. Learner Control|
Please Note: No stars indicate that the dimension is not applicable