A. Instruction - 6.7
B. Design - 9.5
C. Engagement - 7.3
Science Today: A Top App for Science
Summary : High-Quality Science Articles for Free!
Science Today lets users search for articles related to a variety of topics. By tapping the “Lined” button, users can search for articles that were recently posted or are trending. They can also find articles by topic, and topics include: Earth, Life, Space, Sustainability, and Technology. By tapping the “Media” button, users can filter if they wish to find articles that contain text or video. When users find an article of interest, they must tap its headline to access the entire article, which they can share over social media and email by tapping the “Upload” button.
- When teaching a specific topic, teachers can have students search for articles that relate to the topic using this app. Teachers can then have students read and summarize the article before explaining the connection between the topic taught and the article read. Students can write their explanations using an Office app and/or discuss them verbally.
- As a routine activity, teachers can have students find an article in this app that interests them, read it, summarize it, and then explain their interest in the article’s topic.
- When reviewing information about a topic for a larger research assignment, teachers can have students search this app for content they can use.
- After students become familiar with the types of articles and videos included in this app, teachers can assign students a topic and have them compose an article about it that models the articles and videos in this app. Students can write their article using an Office app and create a video using the TouchCast app. Students can then post their work to a class website.
- After reading about a topic in this app, teachers can have students conduct online research to find other sources that verify the claims in the article.
|A2. 21st Century Skills|
|A3. Conn. to Future Learning|
|A4. Value of Errors|
|A5. Feedback to Teacher|
|A6. Level of Material|
|A7. Cooperative Learning|
|A8. Accom. of Individual Diff.|
|B1. Ability to Save Progress|
|B2. Platform Integration|
|B3. Screen Design|
|B4. Ease of Use|
|B6. Goal Orientation|
|B7. Information Presentation|
|B8. Media Integration|
|B9. Cultural Sensitivity|
|C1. Learner Control|
Developer: California Academy of Sciences