A. Instruction - 8.3
B. Design - 10
C. Engagement - 8.3
Simplenote: An Easy-to-Use Tool for Note Taking!
Summary : Simplifying the Note Taking Process
Simplenote allows users to create notes. The notes are stored in the website and can be accessed on computers or devices with the Simplenote app downloaded to them. To ensure transfer and security, Simplenote does require users to first register with their email address and password before creating notes.
To create a note, users select the “+” icon on the top left of the screen, and then they can type their note. As they create and type their note, users will be able to see it on the left side column. After taking notes, students can search them by adding keywords into the search box that are tagged to their notes!
To access advanced features, users can clip the “three dots” button on the top to publish the note. Users can also click that button and choose the “Share” option, which will allow other Simplenote users to collaborate on the note in real time, and the “Send by Email” option allows users to directly send their note to another individual via email.
Instructional Ideas for Simplenote
- At the beginning of the year, teachers can show students this website and its accompanying apps, Evernote and its accompanying apps, and Binder’s apps. Teachers can give students an overview of each of the technologies and let them choose one to use as their go-to note taking tool for the year.
- When lecturing about a topic or viewing a presentation, teachers can require students to take notes using this website. To do so, the first line of the note can be the title or topic of the lecture/presentation. The remainder of the note can capture key ideas, vocabulary words and definitions, and significant facts that were mentioned.
- If students are assigned a group project, they can collaborate when planning and completing the project using this website. To do so, students will first have to create a note and then share it with the students in their group. At this point, other students can access the note and add or modify it before reposting it.
- Teachers can have students publish their notes and post the URL to a class website to share them. This will allow students who were absent or may have missed something during a lecture to access the content.
- When taking notes during an instructional unit, teachers can instruct students what to tag or title the notes. This will help students make connections between the lessons and topics discussed when reviewing. Plus, it will allow students to search their notes by key terms.
Screenshots of Simplenote
Ratings of Simplenote
|A2. 21st Century Skills
|A3. Conn. to Future Learning
|A4. Value of Errors
|A5. Feedback to Teacher
|A6. Level of Material
|A7. Cooperative Learning
|A8. Accom. of Individual Diff.
|B1. Ability to Save Progress
|B2. Platform Integration
|B3. Screen Design
|B4. Ease of Use
|B6. Goal Orientation
|B7. Information Presentation
|B8. Media Integration
|B9. Cultural Sensitivity
|C1. Learner Control
Please Note: No stars indicate that the dimension is not applicable