Utility - 8
Support - 8.7
Design - 9.3
Socrative: A Best App for Teachers
Summary : Make collecting and assessing real-time student fun, engaging and easy with this must-have, free app.
Socrative is platform agnostic tool that allows users engage it across platforms (e.g., website and app), and it provides users with a classroom environment. With Socrative, users can engage in multiple interactive-learning activities, such as quick-question formats, bell-ringer activities, games, and exit tickets. Data from the interactions can be collected, displayed, and saved immediately, which can then be emailed or saved to a cloud-based storage solution. With its functionality, Socrative provides quick feedback from all users that gives everyone in the classroom a voice. Plus, teachers can see data in real time, which can inform their instructional decisions.
- After teaching a topic or reading a text, teachers can use this app to monitor student understanding with the true/false, multiple-choice, or short-answer Quick Questions.
- Teachers can structure a set of true/false statements to indicate progress on completing tasks using the “Space Race” function. These tasks could include setting up for a lab activity or completing different in-class assignments. The group or individual’s responses to the questions can provide teachers with quick feedback regarding which groups need supplemental assistance.
- The “exit slip” function can be used to assess what students gained from class and what information needs to be retaught to students.
- Students can anonymously be polled on their opinions of a topic. They can also answer a free-response question and be polled on which response is most appropriate and why. Or, the poll function can be used to have students list questions that they have about a topic. Teachers can then draw from this data to guide their future instruction.
- Teachers use the “Quick Question” feature by first choosing a short-answer, multiple-choice, or true/false question and then asking students to respond via their mobile devices. Once all students have given a response, the answers can be discussed in groups to provide peer interaction.
|B2. Collaboration & Communication|
|B3. Ability to Save Progress|
|B5. Platform Integration|
|C2. Ease of Use|
|C5. Screen Design|
|C6. Information Presentation|
|C7. Media Integration|
|C8. Free of Distractors|