A. Instruction - 7
B. Design - 8.9
C. Engagement - 6.9
There’s a calculator for that!
Summary : Simplifying Complex Computations
The Calculator Site provides multiple calculator and converter tools on its homepage that includes financial calculators, featured conversion tools, health and math calculators, unit conversions, and some miscellaneous calculators along with a series of featured articles. To access the calculators and tools, users will need to click the heading in the banner, which launches a new page. Users can then click the calculator or tool they wish to use and begin inputting data. Users can click the “Home” option on the top of the screen to return to the main page and select a new calculator or tool.
Instructional Ideas for The Calculator Site
- Teachers can pose a word problem to their students. To solve it, students will need to select the correct calculator or tool needed to complete the computation and then solve the problem. When finished, teachers can have students share how they arrived at their solution to the problem.
- As students gain proficiency in solving word problems, teachers can have them compose their own word problems that require the use of a calculator or tool from this website to solve. As students compose their word problems, they can post them on a digital discussion board, such as Padlet or Web Whiteboard. In addition, teachers can create a class set of flashcards using Quizlet and allow students to post their word problems to a flashcard. Students can then review the flashcards and answer the questions!
- Math and health teachers can collaborate on how to combine a workout program with a health tool for calculating the impact of the program.
- Science teachers can utilize the unit conversion calculators when analyzing units of energy, mass, weight, and power.
- Students can read a featured article and then summarize for the class. Next, depending on the information contained in the article, students can compose a word problem or demonstrate the mathematical principles shared in the article using the calculators hosted on this website.
Screenshots of The Calculator Site
|A2. 21st Century Skills|
|A3. Conn. to Future Learning|
|A4. Value of Errors|
|A5. Feedback to Teacher|
|A6. Level of Material|
|A7. Cooperative Learning|
|A8. Accom. of Individual Diff.|
|B1. Ability to Save Progress|
|B2. Platform Integration|
|B3. Screen Design|
|B4. Ease of Use|
|B6. Goal Orientation|
|B7. Information Presentation|
|B8. Media Integration|
|B9. Cultural Sensitivity|
|C1. Learner Control|