A. Instruction - 7.5
B. Design - 8.7
C. Engagement - 8.3
Perfect Practices Results in Perfect Spelling!
Summary : TurboWords: Practicing Spelling Has Never Been So Engaging!
TurboWords is designed to support users in learning how to spell words. After launching the app, it loads the home screen. Users can tap the “+” button on the top right of the screen to add a name and image to the roster on the home screen. Once added, users can tap a name, and a new screen loads. On it, users can tap the “+” button on the top right to begin a new group of spelling words.
To add a new group of spelling words, users will first have to title it. Once titled, users can tap the name and a recorder option appears. Users can click the “record” button and, after giving the appropriate permission for the app, users can say each word clearly, and the app will convert the audio pronunciation into a lettered form of the word based on the selected language. Users can tap the “pen” icon to make any corrections and they can drag the words to reorder them. They can also tap the red “-“ icon to delete the word. Once the words are correct, users can access additional options from the top right of the screen.
The “Game” option on the top right allows users to practice spelling the words with different activities that include crossword puzzles, word searchers, hangman games, and letter sort activities. As users practice spelling the words using the activities, they receive support and feedback.
The “Test” option loads a screen where users tap the “Play” button to hear a word. In response, they are supposed to type the word. While they type, the app uses green to symbolize the word is correctly spelled and red when it is incorrect. When finished, users are to tap the “Enter” key. They can also tap the “Play” button to hear the word again, the “Fast Forward” button to advance words, the “Hint” button on the top right to get support, and the “Done” button when finished. After clicking the “Done” button, users get a report of their performance and can tap the “Email” icon on the bottom right of the screen to share the report.
Instructional Ideas for TurboWords
- Teachers can give students a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly list of spelling words to learn. Students can enter the words into this app and practice spelling the words using this app. For accountability, teachers can require students to send them a report of their practice using the “Test” feature.
- While and after reading a text, students can record words that they do not know into this app. That way, after reading the text, they can practice spelling the words using this app.
- During conferences and open houses, teachers can recommend this app to parents/guardians who wish to further support their child in learning spelling words.
- Teachers can reserve class time for students to play the spelling games using a specific group of words that were loaded into this app. After having played the games, teachers can ask students which game was the easiest and most challenging and have students respond by stating the game and a rationale for their selection. Teachers can then use that feedback to inform their instruction.
- Teachers can have students use this app throughout a year to record the different spelling words in the form of lists. That way, at the end of the year, students can look back through all the lists and see how much they accomplished!
Screenshots of TurboWords Spelling
Ratings of TurboWords Spelling
|A2. 21st Century Skills|
|A3. Conn. to Future Learning|
|A4. Value of Errors|
|A5. Feedback to Teacher|
|A6. Level of Material|
|A7. Cooperative Learning|
|A8. Accom. of Individual Diff.|
|B1. Ability to Save Progress|
|B2. Platform Integration|
|B3. Screen Design|
|B4. Ease of Use|
|B6. Goal Orientation|
|B7. Information Presentation|
|B8. Media Integration|
|B9. Cultural Sensitivity|
|C1. Learner Control|
Please Note: No stars indicates that the dimension is not applicable to this app.