A. Instruction - 6.3
B. Design - 9.1
C. Engagement - 9.3
Virtual Drumming: Virtual Instruments for the Music Classroom
Summary : All the Drums You Need Are Right Here!
Virtual Drumming is a website that allows users to play a full drum set. To play the drum set, users will first need to launch the website. At this point, users can play a drum by clicking on it with their mouse or tap the corresponding button on their keyboard to play it. Users can click the “Lined” button on the top left of the screen to access additional options, which includes different types of drum sets (e.g., Rock, Metal, Jazz, or Originals), a map of keyboard buttons that plan the different drums when pressed, and volume control settings.
Instructional Ideas for Virtual Drumming
- Teachers can have students play a piece of music using one of the drum sets. Students can then pick a different drum set and play the same piece of music. Students can repeat this process until they decide on their drum set of choice, and teachers can have students write a brief rationale that explains why they selected the drum set they did.
- For students who are new to drumming, they can learn to play a simpler set of drums using this drum set before advancing to the sets included in this website.
- Once students have selected their drum set, teachers can have them practice playing it using the keyboard buttons to increase the pace, fluidity, and speed of their drumming.
- If students wish to enter the drum competition hosted through this website, teachers can have students first pick and practice playing a piece of music using the drums in this website. When ready, students can record themselves playing the drums using a piece of screen capture like Screencast-O-Matic. With parental and school permission, students can then upload their recording to the Virtual Drumming Facebook page to enter the contest!
- Students can create a class virtual band by having students play a song using just virtual instruments. Students can use this website to play the drums, and others to play the piano, synthesizer, and several more!
|A2. 21st Century Skills|
|A3. Conn. to Future Learning|
|A4. Value of Errors|
|A5. Feedback to Teacher|
|A6. Level of Material|
|A7. Cooperative Learning|
|A8. Accom. of Individual Diff.|
|B1. Ability to Save Progress|
|B2. Platform Integration|
|B3. Screen Design|
|B4. Ease of Use|
|B6. Goal Orientation|
|B7. Information Presentation|
|B8. Media Integration|
|B9. Cultural Sensitivity|
|C1. Learner Control|
Screenshots for Virtual Drumming