A. Instruction - 6
B. Design - 7.8
C. Engagement - 7.4
Virtual Piano: A Resource for Musical Instruments
Summary : Providing Access to Pianos
Virtual Piano is an online resource for playing and learning to play the piano. To play the piano, users must launch the website and then click the “Play” option on the menu at the top of the screen. Users will then have access to the virtual piano that they can play by either clicking the keys with their mouse or using their keyboard. If the keyboard is used, different letters on the keyboard correlate to different keys on the piano. In addition, users can click the “Music Sheets” option on the top menu to search for and access sheet music by category. The “World” option on the top menu allows users to join a social community dedicated to playing the piano. The “Learn/Teach” option allows users to enroll in classes to learn to play the piano and different songs. (Please note, users will have to pay an enrollment fee to join a class.) The “Watch” option allows users to view other users playing the Virtual Piano and also upload their own videos.
- Teachers can allow students time to practice playing the piano using this website. As they become confident in their playing ability on the Virtual Piano, students can put on a performance for their teacher and classmates.
- As students gain self-efficacy playing the Virtual Piano, teachers can transition them to playing the traditional piano. Once students make that transition, teachers can have them compare playing the Virtual Piano against playing a traditional piano. To facilitate the comparison, teachers can have students complete a Venn diagram and then use the items students add to the Venn diagram as a springboard into a class conversation.
- For more advanced students, teachers can have them search for and then study a piece of sheet music included on this website. When ready, students can then play that piece of music for their teacher and classmates.
- Teachers can have students click the “Watch” option and view a video of a song being played on the Virtual Piano. After watching the video, students can practice playing the same song.
- As students become proficient playing the Virtual Piano, they can record themselves playing a song and upload it to the website using the “Watch” feature.
|A2. 21st Century Skills|
|A3. Conn. to Future Learning|
|A4. Value of Errors|
|A5. Feedback to Teacher|
|A6. Level of Material|
|A7. Cooperative Learning|
|A8. Accom. of Individual Diff.|
|B1. Ability to Save Progress|
|B2. Platform Integration|
|B3. Screen Design|
|B4. Ease of Use|
|B6. Goal Orientation|
|B7. Information Presentation|
|B8. Media Integration|
|B9. Cultural Sensitivity|
|C1. Learner Control|