A. Efficiency - 9.6
B. Functionality - 7.3
C. Engagement - 10
Web Whiteboard: The Easiest Digital Whiteboard Ever!
Summary : Finally, a Digital Whiteboard that is truly easy to use!
Web Whiteboard is a free, online tool that functions as a digital whiteboard. After launching the website, users can choose if they wish to create an account or use the website without registering. (The advantages in creating an account are that users can create private and read-only boards. If users do not register, all their boards will be public and anyone with the board’s URL can edit it.) Please note, this review will explain how this website is used if the “Create Free Whiteboard” option is selected.
After clicking the “Create Free Whiteboard” option on the homepage, the website will load a blank whiteboard, and users can select the tools on the left side of the screen to add content to their board. The different writing utensils allow users to select a variety of colors and widths to apply on the board. After selecting the writing utensil, users can click and drag it on the board to make markings. The “Eraser” option allows users to remove content they have added. The “A” icon allows users to add text to their board, and the “Images” icon can be used to upload pictures to their board that are saved on the user’s computer. The colored “Notes” icon lets users add their comments to the board. Finally, the “Hand” icon allows users to move around the board without disturbing its content.
To share their board, users can send other users the board’s URL. Other users can then load the URL and access the board in real time.
At the top of the screen, users can click the “New Board” option to access a new board. The “Clear Board” option removes all the content from the board, and the “Visibility” option allows users to limit who can access and add content to their board (if the user is registered with the website). Finally, the “Download” option lets users save the board to their computer as a .PNG file.
Instructional Ideas for Web Whiteboard
- Teachers who are teaching an online lesson can use this website as part of an instructional moment. For example, when discussing a topic, teachers can create a board prior to the lesson that includes text and images related to their lesson. They can then do a screencast where they incorporate the board into their lesson. In addition, teachers can download their board and provide their students with access to it.
- If teachers want students to collaborate using these boards, they can have one student create a board and share the board’s URL with the other members of the group. The group members can then add content to the board.
- Teachers can create a board and require students comment on it. To add comments, students can select a note card and drag it onto the board. Students can then add commentary to their note card along with their name. Teachers can then review the notecards and use them as a springboard into a class conversation about the topic.
- Teachers can divide a topic into multiple sub-topics, and then require students or groups of students to each create a board about their sub-topic. For example, when studying the solar system, teachers can assign each student or group of students a planet to represent using a board. When finished, students can download their board and upload them to a class website. Teachers can then have students present their work.
- After reading a text or engaging in an activity, teachers can have students create a board that represents their learning. For example, after reading a short story, teachers can require students to explain if they did or did not enjoy the story on a board. As part of that response, teachers can require students to include a certain number of images, drawings, and text on their board. When finished, students can download their work and then submit to the teacher for grading or to a class website for sharing.
|B2. Collaboration & Communication|
|B3. Ability to Save Progress|
|B5. Platform Integration|
|C2. Ease of Use|
|C5. Screen Design|
|C6. Information Presentation|
|C7. Media Integration|
|C8. Free of Distractors|
Screenshots of Web Whiteboard